I spotted a recipe similar to this online somewhere a while ago, and I've been thinking about making it for ages because it sounds so mouthwateringly delicious...and it is! I adapted it to suit my own needs, and I think it worked out very well :) The flavours go really nicely together, and I had worried that the sun-dried tomatoes would take over too much, but they didn't at all - they added nice flavour without being overpowering.
I used a jar of sun-dried tomatoes from Lidl and the sour cream, cream cheese, grated mozzarella were Tesco's own brand. Perfect for cutting costs and making meals on a budget, this works out at about €2.50 a serving, and these portions are huge.
2 onions, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
about 15 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained (reserve oil)
4 chicken fillets, chopped
200 ml sour cream
200 g light cream cheese
200 ml milk
200 g mozzarella, grated
1 tbsp dried basil
1 tsp chili flakes (more to taste)
Pasta for 4 people (any shape, whatever you like - I used bows)
- Put the chicken in a bowl with 2 tbsp reserved oil. Add some pepper and paprika and stir to coat. Set aside.
- Heat a small amount of reserved oil on the pan. Sauté the sun-dried tomatoes for 2 mins, then remove from pan.
- Wipe pan out and heat 1 tbsp olive oil in the pan. When the pan is good and hot, add in onion, garlic and chicken. Cook for about 12 mins until chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta as per the package instructions. Drain.
- Chop the sun-dried tomatoes into pieces and add back onto the pan.
- Add the sour cream, cream cheese and mozzarella to the pan and mix well. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer. Stir until well combined and the mozzarella is nicely melted in.
- Add in as much of the milk as needed to thin out the sauce - you could add hot water instead if you wanted.
- Mix in the pasta, then add in the basil and chilli flakes. Stir well until everything is well coated with sauce.
- Serve with some garlic bread or a baguette to mop up the sauce.