4 chicken breasts, chopped into a few pieces each
4 garlic cloves, peeled but left whole
3 large carrots, peeled and chopped into chunks
3 sticks celery, chopped
3 small sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into chunks
5 garlic cloves, grated
1 litre low-salt vegetable stock
1 tsp mixed herbs
2 red peppers, sliced
1 tin tomatoes
half a bag of spinach
1 pack of tortelloni, cooked
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Put 1 tbsp oil into an ovenproof dish. Add chicken pieces and garlic and coat in oil, spices and herbs. Add a covering of boiling water and cover with tinfoil. Place in the oven for 45 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, turn oven down to 150 C and stir chicken around before returning to the oven for remaining 20 minutes.
- When finished cooking, remove chicken (and garlic) from dish and pull apart with two forks. Sieve the remaining liquid into a bowl to remove scum.
- Meanwhile, peel and chop your veg.
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add carrots and celery and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes.
- Add sweet potato and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and stock and liquid from oven chicken. [If adding peppers and tomatoes, add now]. Stir well and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes until everything is nearly fully cooked.
- Add chicken to the soup now and stir in. [Add spinach and tortelloni at this stage if using]. When chicken is fully heated through again, spoon into bowls and serve with crusty bread.