7 oz plain flour
4 oz butter
1 egg, beaten with a little cold water
2 tbsp icing sugar
1 can condensed milk
3 oz brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 oz butter
3 tbsp golden syrup
300 g milk chocolate
- Sieve the flour into a mixing bowl. Cut the butter in.
- Rub in the butter either with your finger tips or a dough blender.
- When the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, sieve in the icing sugar and mix through.
- Add in the egg mixture a bit at a time and bring the mixture together into a dough, adding as much egg as you need to do this without it going sticky or wet.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and lightly knead into shape.
- Wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for 20 mins to relax.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Turn dough out onto floured surface. Roll out to the size of the tray (6x12 is what I used).
- Cover with greaseproof paper and baking beads and bake in the oven for 20 mins.
- Remove greaseproof and beads and return to the oven for 15 mins to brown. Allow to cool.
- For the filling, put all the ingredients into a saucepan. Heat and stir, allowing everything to melt together.
- Bring to the boil and allow to boil for about 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Pour over the cooled base and allow to set.
- For the topping, melt the chocolate in the microwave and spread over the cooled filling.
- Cut into 24 squares and enjoy.